Tuesday, June 16, 2009

Reform, educational or otherwise

I was given this quote about the time I finished my Master's degree. It fit what I knew then about educational reform, and we were on the verge of implementing the No Child Left Behind Act. That is now largely dismantled, at least in WA and like most reforms is mired in funding issues.

"We trained hard, but it seemed that every time we were beginning
to form up into teams, we would be reorganized. I was to learn later
in life that we tend to meet any new situation by reorganizing;
and a wonderful method it can be for creating the illusion of progress
while producing confusion, inefficiency, and demoralization."

According to Liberty-tree.ca, this quote is falsely attributed to Gaius Petronius Arbiter. Quote is from Charlton Ogburn, Jr. (1911-1998), in Harper's Magazine, "Merrill's Marauders: The truth about an incredible adventure" (Jan 1957)

http://quotes.liberty-tree.ca/quote/gaius_petronius_arbiter_quote_7108

No comments: